Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Popping Sound Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipnTear

Programmer
Mar 29, 2001
US
Hello Again,

A program I am writing in which I want to make absolutely silent modem communications, even though we have included the AT command to turn the modem speaker off, there is a popping noise when my program attempts the call. We recently came to learn through this forum that it may be a physical switch in a relay making the click sound.

While this may be true in some cases, I am targeting laptop computers with this program. In the case of my own computer, when I turn the system speakers down, the popping noise does not occur.

Is the popping sound an electronic reaction to the speakers being turned off? If I use the AT command for "low volume" rather than "speakers off" would that solve my problem? I have no way to test this theory as our programmers are in India and I am not familiar enough with AT commands and silent communications.

Thanks for your help.

Take a look in device manager for "wave device for voice modem", it should be under "Sound video and..."
Try "Disable in this profile". Cheers,
Jim
staff
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back