Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Pauses for a Minute every 3-4 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyMudd

Technical User
Jul 27, 2001
US
I am starting to wonder if I could have a virus, both of my home computers and my laptop connect at 50+K work fast for a few minutes then stop communicating for about a minute then go back to a fast transfer for 3-4 more minutes. this is happening on Earthlink and AOL. have run F-Secure Virus scanner. nothing found!!

Ed

I have come across a similar problem on two seperate machines using Freeserve. Both use different modem types & model. Wonder if it's a similar issue?

Just found this info, might help.

USR Sportsters get slower and slower, and may disconnect suddenly
This is the x2 version of Spiral Death Syndrome. The fix in most cases is to add S15=128 to the init string to disable V.42 hardware error correction. It may also be necessary to add &K0 to the init string to disable V.42bis hardware data compression, though this should be a last resort, as performance will suffer when downloading non-compressed files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back