Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
I have a SMC modem (EZ Connect SMC8013WG) using Comcast Cable.

There are a couple dozen devices (mostly PCs) connected to it. I understand this modem works as a router too.

This modem goes down at least a half dozen times each day. This is very annoying and I am looking for a solution to this.

I could get a different modem, but I would like to understand why this one is not working. The answer could help me choose a more suitable modem.

Any ideas?

Your Modem has a Cable Status Screen, fi we assume it maybe a cable issue and not a cable modem issue, hereare some stats to look at:
"Downstream SNR: should be 30 dB or higher: the higher the better.

Downstream Received Power: the DOCSIS specification requires cable modems to function correctly with downstream power levels in the range -15 dBmV to +15 dBmV: power readings at or close to those extremes are likely to be unacceptable.

Upstream Transmit Power: The better the return path is, the lower the upstream transmit power will be. The upstream transmit power will lie within the range +8 to +58 dBmV, with many ISPs specifying a target commissioning level below +55 dBmV."

(that is a good site for any cable modem issues)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back