Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem or phone line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xit

Technical User
May 29, 2004
US
Hi all, customer has a Dell Dimension 2350 which works fine with this exception: modem will dial up and connect to the internet and work fine here in town, but when it is set up at customers home (several miles from town)the problems start. The modem will dial up and connect with the home page but when trying to go to another site it will time out. This will not happen all the time. I have installed two new modems trying to correct this problem. Customer has had phone company to check the lines which they claim are ok. I have gone over all settings and find no problems as this works so well in town even with the most graphic intense sites loading.

Which direction should I try next? any help appreciated!!

xit

Maybe the Telco needs to turn up the signal level at the exchange.

Is the line you're customer's using at all noisy?

Has it got a lot of extension leads, cables, adaptors, patch panels to go through before it reaches the modem? If not done already, try plugging the phone directly into the Master socket.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks GOAOZ for your reply! I will check with my customer as per your input. The telephone office is only three blocks from the shop so I will hook-up at max and I know the signal drops quickly with distance. What confuses me is the fact that the connection was working properly.

Thanks
xit

You might also check the Line Voltage/Line current "normal" line Current is between 20 & 30 ma DC you may be getting a problem if this is several miles out of town, Expecially if interment I would recommend checking by making 10-12 dialup attempts and see what the line Voltage is as the Local Telcos will "almost always deny any knowledge of any problem" I have seen the line Voltage hungup usually in the 48-52 VDC range and Typically 5-6 VDC while "on line" although I have seend it be as much as 14VDC

Thanks GOAOZ & macphoneguy, I think tomorrow or friday I will get a chance to check this out first hand and will report back to you with my findings.

Thanks

xit

There are several things that you can try to make sure that you are not experiencing a hardware problem. The first is to configure the modem's max connect rate. Start with something on the lines of 9600, then 28800, then 38400, then 56000.

If you can connect reliably at lower speeds, then you probably have an issue with the line itself. If not, then you are likely having hardware problems either with the modem or the line (as macphoneguy suggests).

Another thing that you can check is make sure that all of the phone jack terminations for that line are clean. If a wire is pinched under a screw terminal, it can cause problems on the line that will degrade over time.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back