Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbnetto

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
BR
Hi!

I installed Windows XP on a friend's computer and got some problems with the modem. He was using it under Windows 98 without any problem. I coudn't say exactly what is the model, since he don't have any documentation. Windows XP recognizes it as an HSP 56. I checked it and it is a PcTel with an Atech ATS-256. Windows XP recognizes it with the HSP 56 driver and the diagnostic shows it is OK, but when I try to connect, it accuses "no dial tone". Unchecking "Wait for dial tone" brings the computer to a halt when I try to connect. I have already tried everything I know: changed COM port; installed different drivers from Atech ATS and PcTel HSP 56 (most of them the system don't even accept as valid for my hardware); changed physical location of the modem; checked all connections, which are exactly as they were when using Win 98 successfully, etc. I'm considering the reinstallation of Win 98, since my friend needs access to the internet and don't want to buy another modem. Does anyone already experimented this kind o problem?

Thanks,

Netto

After changing modems, I installed a U.S. Robotics v.92, and I am unable to download only a few websites. A few with a lot of graphics, and then the computer freezes up, and I have to disconnect from the internet. What is the best modem to use with my Windows XP??? I connect with 48kbps. Previously, I had no problems with the old modem. Electricity hit it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back