Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem on X-windows system

Status
Not open for further replies.

prajakta

MIS
Feb 17, 2001
IN
hello,
i've windows 98 and red hat linux 7.1 on my pc. i've a modem "Ambient HaM Data Fax Voice"
it's driver for windows is comm.drv. modem is 56kbps internal and connected to COM4.

it's not getting detected in linux. how can i know whether it's a winmodem or not? where and which driver should i obtain?

finally, can i use it in linux or not at all?

If its a Winmodem you willnot be able to use it in LINUX (I belive so, I have never gotten one to work). It looks like from what you have described, its a winmodem. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Try looking at and the links thereof. Especially the one referred to as 'Huge List' whihc details specific drivers for most modems and those which probably won't work. If you look at the modem card, some are PNP and can be switched to alter them to real Hardware modems. This works better with Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back