Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem on console port problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoggit

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
US
Hi,

I've got a modem configured and connected to the console port on a 2501 router, but when dialling into it, it answers then at some point during the handshake it hangs up unexpectedly!

Now, I check a register on the modem that gives a reason for the last disconnection and it says that a character was received on the serial port!!

So, I disconnect the serial cable, redial and then reconnect after the handshake and I'm in without any problems....

If I connect a PC to the console port - there is no output generated by the router, so I don't know what's killing the handshake. There is nothing in the log either.

Is there a way to have the modem ignore any input on the serial interface until after trhe handshake, or perhaps a way to stop any output to the console port?

Thanks,
yoggit

here try this but make sure you can telnet in just in case.

line con 0
exec-timeout 30 0
password ?????
login
modem InOut
modem autoconfigure discovery
transport input all
speed 115200
flowcontrol hardware Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.