Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem - OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpupro

MIS
Nov 5, 1998
US
I have an LTWin modem that I just upgraded to the V90 standard from the OEM site. I have tried everything to get better than 41.6K but it just doesn't work. This modem was used on another computer I have and it works at 115200. <br>
Yes I know that speed is not real but I use it to gauge the speed.<br>
<br>
Any ideas?

Call your local Telephone Service Provider. They may not offer V90 access yet.

Your ISP and Telco may offer the service, but in some areas the lines just won't handle it. Your Telco should be able to tell you if there are restrictions. There are some areas here (Seattle) that can't get better than 28.8 no matter what modem they have.<br>
<br>
Also my ISP (jetcity.com) sent out a message when they changed over to all 56K modems and recommended that we use a specific brand to get maximum performance. Apparently the chipset on your end works better if the chipset on the other end is the same. I don't know if this is true, it's just what they told us.<br>
<br>
The maximum I have been able to achieve with any of my 56K modems (I have 4) is 48.8K and as low as 36K. It varies. If you're consistently hitting 41K you're doing pretty good.

Before upgrading my x2 to v90, my connection was between 48k and 52k 90% of the time. After switching to v90 I am connecting at 45k 100% of the time. However my through-put with the v90 is about double what it was as x2. Monitor your bytes/received using performance monitor (system monitor for 9x).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back