Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem not getting dial tone but phone does

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmonck

Technical User
Mar 20, 2002
US
This problem has me stumped! I can't get a new laptop with XP to connect to the internet from a client's home. I get a "no dial tone" error message. His older computer connects fine as does his telephone. I took the laptop to another house and it connnects fine. Any ideas on what the problem may be? I changed the phone line and double checked the settings but I haven't the foggiest. Help!!!

Okay, so another modem works fine on that line. Then you're down to a bad modem, or wrong configuration. You might disable the "Wait for dial tone before dialing" option. Also, if its a new laptop, call the manufacturer. If it never worked, maybe you just got a bad modem.

Matt J.

I would have to say that it was probably either the cord that you used to connect your modem, or that it was not securely in the modem's jack.

If your modem works elsewhere, and other things work in that location, it almost has to be the one thing that changes, your modem's connection to the line.

But it is possible (however unlikely) that your modem could not detect the dial tone at your friend's house because of the frequency of the dial tone. You can check this by putting an X1 or X3 in the dial string (AT X1 DT) or you can check the box in the phone and modem settings that indicates whether to wait for dial tone. If you dial out and connect without waiting for dial tone, then it is just the frequency of dial tone. This can also happen if the friend has voice mail and gets an interrupted dial tone as a message waiting indicator. Normally the modem will wait well beyond the length of the interrupted dial tone to detect dial tone, but sometimes not. Depends on the manufacturer's defaults.

pansophic

Ooops.. Sorry, missed the line stating the laptop worked fine at another house.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back