Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

joystick8

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
US
hi, I put a new hard drive with win98se in a machine that had win95 in it now it won't find the modem. I put the old hard drive back in and the modem works. I looked and it was hooked up to com port 3 on the old drive and the new drive doesn't have or can't find com port 3 it has
3- com port1's and 3- com port2's no com port3 thanks for any help :)

Did you install the drivers for the modem? That would be the cd that came with the modem if it is new, or you can download it of the internet.
Cindy
[smile]

If you just swapped hard drives go into device manager in safe mode and delete all the drivers then reboot and let windows find the hardware.

agree with franklin...go into device manager (preferably in safe mode) and look to see if you have any entries for 'modem'. If so, remove any that you see and reboot. Windows should detect it next time!

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Putting a hard drive with an installes OS in another system is rarely successful because all the system device drivers are wrong. You can sometimes get it working by deleting all devices from device manager and letting windows reinstall them when you reboot but even then there are usually problems down the line. Best thing to do is a format and clean install. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

There is no need to format and reinstall.
If you are taking an existing install of 95, 98, or ME, and moving the drive to another system, there's a simple way to get it all to work.
Check this out: Note: this does NOT work in NT/2K/XP!
There is a completely different procedure to follow, which is outlined here: Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Comtech,
I have used the method described for 9x, in essence it is a registry hack which does the same as removing devices from device manager but is quicker. It usually works short term but I stick to my original statement that you will be likely to have problems down the line. These usually take the form of general system instability and again I speak from experience.
As for the 2000/XP fix, I have not tried that however unless there is some overriding reason for not doing a format I think the format / reinstall procedure would be easier and just as quick. I have done one XP system using the method of removing devices via device manager with slightly better results than usually obtained in 9x, however the system was never as stable as the original. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

If you try and remove all devices from device mangler in 9x, you won't be able to. (Try it!)
Removing the ENUM key does remove ALL devices.
The XP/2K version works most of the time, depending on how radical the hardware change is.
I've never had any stability problems in XP, and that's changing from Intel BX, to NVidia, to VIA, to Intel 845, and back to VIA. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I have been able to remove all devices in 98 from device manager, I do it in safe mode, and also systems may vary I suppose depending on the hardware. The registry method is of course much surer and a lot quicker, its just that some people have a well founded fear of messing about there if they are not absolutely sure what they are doing.... Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back