Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem not detected in AOL?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelinkO

Technical User
Aug 9, 2003
US
I have just recently had to install windows 2000 professional on my friends PC and when i try to configure AOL to connect to the internet via 56k modem it will not detect it whatsoever?... The strange thing is that when i had windows xp home installed the modem worked fine? Would it be possible for me to update the drivers and use the drivers off of the windows xp home cd? I hate 56k (cable user myself) and am not experienced with internal modem problems like this. Any help and possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Go to start -> settings -> control panel -> phone and modem options and look on the modems tab to see if it has been installed properly in Windows 2K. If not, you need to get hold of some drivers for the modem.

Most internal modems use the computer's cpu to provide their processing power - ie for cost purposes they are software driven, sometimes known as WinModems or Software Modems.
If the cpu is powerful enough there won't be any problems, but on lower spec systems you can find it connects at slower rates etc.

As you know what it was when installed under XP, it shouldn't be too difficult to locate appropriate windows 2000 drivers for it for the country in which you live, but I wouldn't get drivers from the windows XP CD.
My advice would be to start at
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back