Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem not connecting after XP SP1 & Bios upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhemsley

Technical User
Jan 27, 2004
US
Hi,

I hope someone can help me solve my parents' modem problem.

Background: PC was upgraded to XP SP1. This caused their PC to become unstable and a Bios upgrade solved this. Since then the modem has not been able to connect to 2 different ISPs (I installed AOL 8 when their original ISP did not work).

The modem is a PCI Lucent Win Modem.

The symptoms I see are that it can dial out to the ISP, but never connects. There are no conflicts in device manager.

What I have tried:

- installed the latest driver (8.30)
- removed the card, rebooted without the modem in and then restarted the PC with the modem in a different slot.
- also tried messing with the IRQ settings in the Bios, as the Bios seemed to say it would use IRQ5 for the sound card and the modem says it is using that in device manager.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Richard

Uninstall the modem from add/remove programs, and reinstall it. Make sure you have the DRIVER DISK FIRST! If it isn't listed there, then remove it from the modems applet. Shut down and put the modem back where it originally was. Start back up, reload the driver. Hopefully it will appear on COM2 or COM3. Please note at this time if you have the ability to change the COM port, but accept whatever it suggests. Also jot down what interrupt it has now assigned, but again, do not change it. Chances are AOL and your other ISP's connections are going to be pissed because you deleted the modem. You might have to recreate your dial up connection (let's stick with that for now, forget the AOL, in fact, I'd uninstall that too).

If that doesn't do it, try using hyperterminal to connect to 1-888-296-3892 and 1-800-543-3279 (both 10 cents a minute, so don't stay on too long). Please try both numbers. You should get a logon screen. Make notes on everything and post back.

Matt J.

Thanks for your response Matt. I've tried doing the above. Results...

AOL uninstalled.

Uninstalled modem.

Removed modem from machine and put back in original slot.

Rebooted with Fail-Safe Bios defaults. Values that might be of interest in my Phoenix AwardBIOS CMOPS Setup Utility:
* Power Management Setup Menu:
MODEM - Use IRQ3
* Integrated Peripherals Menu:
SB IRQ Select - IRQ5
* Advanced Chipset Features Menu:
OnChip Modem - Auto (NB: Other possible value is 'Disable')

The modem is using COM3 & has IRQ10.

I'm in the UK so haven't rang the US numbers (Does anyone know if there are any equivalent UK numbers?)

COM1 is using IRQ4 & COM2 is using IRQ3.

I setup a different Network Connection to ensure it was using the newly installed modem, but I am still able to dial out and not connect. I get Error 721: Remote Computer did not respond.

I've tried the modem on a different machine and it dials out AND connects.

All help really appreciated...

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back