Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem mouse mess up

Status
Not open for further replies.

crownydowny

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
everytime i try to connect to the net my mouse stops working then the modem stops working and wont work unless i set it up again i checked the comk ports in device manager and it says that there is aconflict between 2 and 4 what should i do plz help

Com 2 and com4 are linked together, the way round is to reinstall the modem and use com 1 or 3, this can be set in the advance settings.
If it is an internal modem and you have a spare pci slot, you could try a drifferent slot, which may give it a different irq, alternitavitly force it with a free irq to avoid the conflict.

Are you using a serial mouse? didnt know that ps2 had that problem and unless this is an extremely old system it should have a ps2 port

Normally Coms 1 and 2 are the physical ports fitted or allowed for on the system. 3 and 4 are internal ports which may be used by internal modems etc. 1 and 3 share an IRQ as do 2 and 4. If a serial mouse is used it is normally connected to Com 1 and the modem will usually install to Com 4 which avoids any conflict. Check to see where your mouse is plugged in, if it is serial and you have 2 physical Com ports try moving it to the other one. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Agree with the above, you need to either reassign the COMs or simply just the IRQ on one of the devices. Is the modem internal and external? What connection type does your mouse use? Also helpful to know what operating system you are using to give you a detailed walk though how to fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back