Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem keeps line UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

timturner

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
GB
Weird one this.

Windows XP and I have treid 2 different modems (both internal PCI).

Dial up fine to internet.
Disconnect
Connection icon goes from taskabr
BUT
The modem does not hang up the line.
If you pick up the phone you get no dial tone because the modem still has the line UP.

The only work around is to either reboot or physically remove the cable from the modem Any ideas?

Were both the same brand? Possibly using the same driver? Lots of drivers have had issues with XP, you'd be wise to download the latest and greatest for your specific modem.

Of course some people have had better luck with generic drivers, but the branded driver is the best place to start.

pansophic

I got the same problem some time ago. Please check your system for viruses and worms, sometimes they keep the connection up.

Thanks pansophic, but the problem just started happening after a thunder storm (don't think this has caused problem because other modem was not installed on system) and yest they are different.

prof1949, thats what I was thinking, I'll get another scan done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back