Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem is connected, what's the IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waidesworld

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
I have a remote computer which is currently dialled up to the net on a local ISP phone number. I want to find the IP address so I can access it using my remote program, however using IP scanner may take forever. Is there any way I can find out what the IP bank for the ISP in that area is then I could do a port scan for my system.

If you are at your computer when you dial in, you can use 'winipcfg' or 'ipconfig /all' to show the current IP address.

Or you can try one of the dynamic DNS services and use a name to access your computer. The dynamic DNS services update each time your IP address changes. Never heard of anyone using a dialup with the dynamic DNS services, but it should work.

pansophic

Do I have to set up the dynamic DNS on the host pc as the remote PC seems to attract it's own address every time I try to set up.

Dynamic DNS is set up on a DNS server on the Internet. An application will run on the remote computer and each time the remote computer gets a new DHCP address, the application will contact the DNS server, which will update its records.

You simply use the DNS name of the computer to contact it, and the dynamic DNS server will respond with its current IP address and connect you automatically.

There are a number of dynamic DNS providers, but DynDNS and TZO.NET are the only ones that I can think of off hand.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back