Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem is Active....but not?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2001
NZ
I have installed a modem into my Windows98se OS the old one, I THOUGHT was faulty. Installation went fine and the correct drivers have been loaded.

The problem is that even when the modem is successfully connected I cannot browse the internet or log into my e-mail client?!?

I'm pretty sure this is a software error (with Win98se) rather than hardware based one.

Anyone have any clues?

[yinyang]

Can you hear the modem dialing out?

If you can then modem is OK.

Can you here the sound as the modem and the ISP computer change the frequency to establish connection but it doesn't connect?

It could be a password problem. Run the Internet Connection Wizard and make a fresh alternate connection and use that when connecting.

Are you using the same cable between the modem and the telephone socket as before?

The cable may be faulty and needs replacing.

When you say "successfully connected".......do you mean you're sure that your Isp and you are hooked up...but you can't get your browser to work?..

If it's an internal modem.....Right click My Computer>Properties.....click DeviceManager tab....(click View devices by Type)...double click modem...a properties box will come up....help maybe...

Alot of times it has to do with the Port it's trying to use..

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Thanks,

When I said I have successfully connected I am certain that I have established a good connection with my ISP. Interesting though...I can ping an IP address like 66.218.71.84 successfully but it won't recognise its DNS counterpart

[yinyang]

What is your Primary Network Logon under......right click Network Neighborhood....and are you using TCP/IP....?

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

I have seen the same problem twice and even with dail up networking installed and patched it still doesnt work. Packets arent allowed to flow between the ips and modem, although you can ping the isp. I am not sure of how to fix the problem though... i am still thinking about it...

Same thing happened to me some time ago. Do you have any kind of firewalls installed in your pc like Zonealarm? my problem solved when i shutted down the firewall and the connection started working properly. btw, a good way to find out if you have made a successful connection is to open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. then you will she the ip your isp has provided to you and the dns servers. try to ping first your ip and then the dns. if your ip works you have made a valid connection. if the dns servers reply then the problem is somewhere in your OS.Maybe the internet explorer??

Yer no firewalls, i am sure its just IE and dailup and os. I am going to reinstall it laters no matter :)

I remember that I had a similar problem with Macafee AV on a laptop. I changed over to Norton and the problem was solved.

check your Hosts and Lmhosts files

Notification:

Yer i delted both my host and lmhost files, that did work, it wouldnt even connect to the net over the proxy server as well, so now i know its windoze problem. Fixed it by reinstalling windoze, but there has to be more it than that solution.

I am still clueless to it.... I think its Dailup networking myself.. but oh well

Thank all

DUN could be the issue.......Have you enabled 'Always dial my default connection" under Tools>Inet Options>Connections....and check the advanced settings on there also, as that's where a conflict may lie.....

IE6 has a inet connection wizard update option in setup/add component.....
Are you using IE6?

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back