Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Install..... How to? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needhelp3

Technical User
Oct 8, 2003
US
Need some help with installing a modem to an option 61 system with Meridian Mail. I am not all that experienced in the Meridian system but understand basic operations, I am just filling in for now. I would like to have remote access to the switch from my desk or out of the office without having to sit at the counsel that is hooked to the switch directly. This is why I was trying to hook a modem to it. If anyone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated. It does look like the tech that we did have was attempting to get it working but didn't. He currently has a cable plugged into J14 on the back of the switch and a twenty five pin adapter with only nine pins going to the modem.

ok firstly what modem are you using

has it ever worked ??

Colin

Hooked to the switch is a 56k US Robotics and on my computer is a 33k US Robotics. And as far as has it ever worked, I don't believe so because the tech that was here was attempting to get it working but I don't believe he ever did.

is the TTY enabled ?

here are some notes on modem setup

robotic 56K V90 modem....the setting on the back switches of the modems are:
D U D U U U D D we tried this on and this other one too.

D U U D U U U D and this one

D = down and U up....

Reprogram the modem:

1 Power off the modem.
2 Set DIP switches 1, 3, 7, and 8 down for all programming. (All other switches should be up).
3 Power on the modem.
4 Enter the commands below from the administration terminal to configure the modem

Note: The administration terminal should be set to either 2400 bps or 9600 bps (that is,
Meridian Mail console speed).

command: at&f0
response: OK
command: ats0=1
command: at&b1
command: aty0
command: atq1
no response
command: at&w0
no response
command: at&w1
no response

5 Power off the modem.
6 Set DIP switches 1 and 4 down. (All other switches should be up.)

Now the modem is ready for connection to the Meridian System
use hyperterminal and set to 9600, 8 N 1 VT100

Colin

How do you verify if the TTY is enabled? Also, where do you type in the commands you have listed? You cannot just type the commands in on the terminal, doesn't work or login into the 61 and try but still doesn't work. The soft keys on the keyboard are setup to be able to toggle between the 61 and Mail. We just changed the dip switches on the modem and they connected with each other but unable to receive any data. At least we are able to get the modems to connect now just need to get the data to transmit. If you could help a little more it would be appreciated.

needhelp,

set the dipswitches same as cmawbey said above (1 3 7 8 down)
when you get to the part about commands, an easier way to accomplish the same thing is

1. type in ati4

(the screen will come back with a lot of info including the baud rate and settings for the modem. These come from the settings on your terminal program (procomm, hyperterminal)

2. then type in this string:

at&b1&w&w1

(the modem will return OK.)

complete the final steps in cmawbey's post above.

stat the TTY in LD 37

LD 37
stat tty x

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back