Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Initialization 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

workinonit

Technical User
Jan 4, 2003
US
Hello,
I have been trying to install Walmart Connect internet service on a system. It has Win98SE, 64mb ram,700MHZ cpu.Upon running the installation software, I get all the way to the point where it is supposed to dial out and connect to them to get the access numbers.Then it says"Step 1..Initializing modem" and my system just freezes up. I have been on the phone with their support for hours and have had no luck at all. I can put any other ISP account on the system and it will dial out and connect. I have tried everything ,,remove and reinstalled,got new disc from walmart, downloaded software form their website and it does the same thing each time.Does anyone have any ideal what would be causing this? I have installed internet on hundreds of systems and this is a new one on me.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Can you manually set up DUN to dial the number, instead of using their software?
It's probably because of some init string they want the modem to use to connect, and it's conflicting with the one Windows uses to init the modem. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

the only one that could tell you exactly what the problem would be is the software programer. i would do as comtech said and set-up a DUN connection to see if that would work. also, check to see if there is more than one modem installed. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back