Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem hogs the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilyo

Technical User
Nov 11, 2003
GB
One of my friends has a phone/fax machine on the same line as their pci fax modem.

After they switch on their computer, when the phone rings, the modem (fax software) picks up, as my friend wants it to, then when the fax has finished coming in, the modem doesn't let go of the line.

If you try to make a phone call now there is no dial tone. You have to restart the computer or disable the modem to get it to 'let go!'

I am going to try a different modem - but I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. In case it's not the modem...

Thanks in advance,
Emily

I have seen that happen occasionally, Swapping Modems My Correct it but any Number of TSR's may also "screw it up" usually this is in the Startup Group or something in the Fax software itself, as I presume you can make and recieve calls normally on the line when the fax isn't plugged in

Thanks for your reply.
Yeh, I can make and receive calls normally when the fax/modem isn't plugged in.
I'll check the startup stuff.

Cheers,
Emily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back