Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODEM HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexRacer

Technical User
Aug 6, 2001
US
OK... I am ready to pull my hair out. My grandparents recieved a computer and I'm trying to install a modem. I know that the modem is a Lucent but that is about it. I'm putting it in a P166mhz Win 98 box. I have tried everything to get this thing to install and I'm at a loss. When trying to connect to the internet it says that no dial tone can be detected. I've tried the Add new hardware approach and also adding the modem buy going thru settings/control panel/modems and it still wont recognize it.

I have checked the phone line and there is a dial tone when the phone is plugged in.

The error message says that I may need to turn the modem on... how the heck do I do that? I've checked the BIOS and can find no settings for this.

What am I missing??? I really need to get this thing done this weekend. Any suggestions would be of great help!!

Well modems ain't my thing but is it listed in device manager? It may not work until it is. Did you install the driver? This may sound like a dumb question but is the cord plugged in properly? If there are two jacks on the modem plug a phone into one so that both jacks have something plugged into them and then see if it'll connect.

If this link doesn't work try it again later:

Also see if these help:

You can try and uninstall all modems, in safe-mode reboot and let Windows find find it.

Or pull the modem and get the FCC ID #. Post it I'll see if I can find drivers for it. Find all # on card and the chip; is it ISA or PCI win modem or controller?
"More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back