Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem gives error Comm Port Not available in Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earnesto

Programmer
Oct 2, 2000
GB
Comm 1 is set for modem, and in win 98 user can use fax send and receive but when she uses Vbdos Application the Above error is produced. Can you please help. Can there be a problem running a 16bit application or some other software is
holding the comm port to itself.

Earnesto [sig][/sig]

Is the modem a hard modem that can be used in DOS, or is it a winmodem?
Is windows assigning the modem to com 1, but sharing it with another device? [sig]<p>Jim<br><a href=mailto:reboot@pcmech.com>reboot@pcmech.com</a><br><a href= & Sue's Free Files</a><br>Current moderator at Staff contributor/moderator at Windows 9x/ME instructor.<br>
Jim's Modems: [/sig]

Yes Jim it is an external modem Microcom Deskporte 28.8s. when you use fax software on Comm1 it works perfectly. [sig][/sig]

Is com 1 set to IRQ 4?
Are both programs using the same com/IRQ/memory address?
Is the fax software loading at startup, and preventing access for the VBDos prog? [sig]<p>Jim<br><a href=mailto:reboot@pcmech.com>reboot@pcmech.com</a><br><a href= & Sue's Free Files</a><br>Current moderator at Staff contributor/moderator at Windows 9x/ME instructor.<br>

Is com 1 set to IRQ 4? Yes
Are both programs using the same com/IRQ/memory address? Yes
Is the fax software loading at startup, and preventing access for the VBDos prog?
That seems to be the case.

Thanks [sig][/sig]

So, go to Start > Run > and type in msconfig
Look on the startup tab.
Disable (uncheck) the offending item(s).
Restart.
Check the properties of the fax program to see if it wants to still load on startup, and you may be able to disable it there too. [sig]<p>Jim<br><a href=mailto:reboot@pcmech.com>reboot@pcmech.com</a><br><a href= & Sue's Free Files</a><br>Current moderator at Staff contributor/moderator at Windows 9x/ME instructor.<br>

what do i need to do if comm 2 is not in my sys??
i can't find the files any where??
this ia a dell L600cx I need help with this
i've been fighting with this for 4 weeks. HELP!!!!!
WIN98 will not notice my modem???

thanks, ress88

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back