Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem failure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burr

Programmer
Jul 17, 2000
US
Using a ASUS cuv4x motherboard and a Lucent 56k modem. After 2 hours the modem will login to my Worldnet ISP but cant find any web address. Using the System Monitor (Win98) , viewing the dial up adaptor, the bytes sent and recieved become zero. The system will still login and these bytes can be monitored. Differnet browsers have the same problem. A reboot fixes the problem, but it will reoccur after about 2 hours. REPEATEDLY.

What can I monitor that will prove the source of the problem ? Cant it be the hardware port on the motherboard as well as the modem. Any suggestions?

Burr Stephens

Burr Stephens
burr-stephens@worldnet.att.net

Problems fall into either the hardware or software category (sometimes both). In your case, I would guess software since the reboot seems to fix it. To eliminate the possibility of hardware, just swap components out if you have a spare modem, mb, etc.. To troubleshoot the software side, I would verify you have the latest drivers for the modem and motherboard and make sure you have any patches for 98. Having spent time on a lot of similar type problems, my money would be on a bug in the modem firmware or in the modem drivers. I don't use 98 but I've heard lots of people have trouble with it so I'm sure that doesn't help your case.

Good Luck,
GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back