Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem failure to connect after dialler "virus"

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddydog

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
GB
I don't know much about modems, please be gentle with me!

At some point, my home PC seems to have become "infected" with one of these automatic expensive dialler-thingies, I don't know how or where from. All I noticed was the modem disconnecting and re-dialling. When I looked at the settings a new connection had appeared. I deleted it and it came back again. I'm not sure how, but I eventually got this to stop happening.

However, despite having uninstalled and reinstalled my modem, drivers, etc., among other things, I cannot connect to my ISP.

The modem dials and appears to be connecting OK - you can hear it bleep, and all looks OK, but when it gets to the point at which you would normally be online, it just disconnects itself.

I have a suspicion that something (malware) is forcing the modem to disconnect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

You want to run a spyware scan, could be virus activity, but I would start with spyware.

spybot

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back