Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem error 692 How can I make sure modem is bad 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrossno

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
they can't connect to the internet via aol 7.0. I get a message the modem has reported that there is not dialtone. Is there a way to test the modem and find out if it is bad? Also is there any programs that might be keeping this from working windows xp is my os. I am fixing this for a friend any help would be much appreciated.

Open Hyperterminal and select the modem that you want to test. You can put any number in the number to dial, just cancel the dialing dialog and type ATX1<enter>. You should get an OK response. Then type ATDT <ISP number><enter> and wait to see if it connects or gives you a no dial tone response. X1 cancels call progress tone detection, so it won't really be waiting for dial tone. If you still get the no dial tone response, the modem has real problems.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back