Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem emulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kooch

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
CA

I'm trying to find a specific type of device (if it exists, which I believe it must) but I can't seem to word it correctly so I'm not really getting anywhere with searches.

Does anyone know of a device which I could use to access a piece of legacy hardware over my network? The only way to connect currently is by dialing up to a modem that is connected to the device via serial cable. I was hoping that there would be something I could replace the modem with that would emulate the modem, but allow me to connect to it with HyperTerminal with an IP address.

Does such an animal exist out there? It would really save me a lot of headaches!

If the device has a rs232 port you should be able to use a Serial to Ethernet device to communicate to it through the network, presuming you have the same network at both locations, I have used the Lantronix devices, depending on the nature of the remote device you may want to check the pin outs to see if it is DCE or DTE equipment & DB9/DB25 connector I recently had to make a "custom" cable as I needed a DCE to DCE, I used a DB25 to rj45 & DB9 to rj45 and a patch cord in between and it worked,
Hopefully this helps, otherwise leave some more information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back