Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem does not show up in Modems Control but otherwise installs right

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomDork

Programmer
Sep 21, 2001
US
I have never seen anything like this before. I have a Dell Dimension L866r that came installed with Win2k. I installed a second drive with Win98 on it and I am setting that up. When it came time to set up the modem I pulled out the CD that came with the computer and installed the drivers it has.

The modem is an HCF Conexant V.90 Voice/Fax Modem. When I installed it said that it did everything correctly but then there was no modem listed in the Modem tab of the Modems control. When I go to the diagnostics screen it shows Com1 with nothing and Com2 has no name, but the icon is that of a modem, and when I click on more information it gives me all the expected feedback from talking to the modem. The modem is installed and working, but it will not show up in the modems control and I can't hook it to any of my DUN connections.

I have done some looking in the registry and I found some interesting things. It looks like when the modem drivers are installed it installs a Modem Emulator that it names HCFMODEM in the registry. The key for the modem points to that key instead of the Modem/0000 key. I hacked the other key to point to Modem/0000 and I then saw something show up when I opened the Modems control, but it was the Modem Emulator and not the modem, and I couldn't view properties on it. So I am now back to the begining.

Does anyone out there have any help, or have Win98 installed on a Dell Dim. L866r that can help.

Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back