Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem disconnecting every 30 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquamarineafterglow

Technical User
May 24, 2001
US
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with this issue. A friend's computer, a new one, bought Feb '01 from Gateway. She has contacted their tech support and also her ISP's tech support to no avail. The problem: The internet connection disconnects every 30 minutes without fail.

Troubleshooting I've done:
Reinstalling the modem, looked thru her program files to see if she has a program that is set to do this only she has only the programs that came with win98, I have set power management settings all to never, I have checked her dial up connection to see if auto disconnect was active and it is not. I'm thinking it is the actual modem at this point. But before I go and take my modem out and take it to her house and install it in her computer to check this, I am wanting to know if someone out there has some clue as to what is causing this. It started out of the blue she says, she says she has not downloaded or installed anything new. The problem has been consistent for a month now. Any ideas????

Thanks in advance,
Aqua

The modem is probably trying to retrain, and when it fails, it disconnects, although it's rare that this would happen at EXACTLY 30 minutes.
Try putting S11=50 in the extra settings box of Advanced Modem Properties, and see if that helps. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Try removing the modem and installing in another pc to see if it does the same thing..if so, replace the modem...if not..it will be something running on the pc that is causing the problem...the advantage you have is you know it disconnects after 30 mins...

Check her mail program as well and see if it is set to check mail every thirty minutes and hang up when done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back