Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem dials-up but disconnects almost immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbstevens

Technical User
Nov 1, 2002
GB
I had a WinME machine, partitioned the drive and installed XP on the new partition. My modem is a SmartLink 56k voice modem.

I downloaded the drivers (v3.something) from Smartlink for XP. The modem is detected, I can dial-up, but once I am connected, it is incredibly slow, and touch and go whether the connection lasts long enough for the first web page to display. It usually disconnects within 30 seconds.

I have tried alternative ISPs, still a problem. Tried the previous driver version, still a problem.

When I boot ME, the modem works fine.

Any suggestions?

I am having almost the same problem with a US Robotics OEM modem and win xp. I have yet to find a solution myself. The driver for my modem is supposed to be automatic with win xp, but it connects at about 1.2kbps and then disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back