Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Dials Error 645 or 629

Status
Not open for further replies.

palliser2

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
CA
I had to remove some components to free up space and accidently deleted my dial up connection files. DUH! I re-installed the files from my original Windows 98 disk and even tryed the files from another disk but had no luck making this work. I then spent a long time on the phone with my internet provider and unloaded reloaded and tryed every configuration they could think of. The final experiment they seem to think that "may" work is to re-install Windows 98. I have un-installed and re-installed my modem and it seems to be fine (fyi = V.90 PCI Windows Modem (LHV))I am able to use other dial-up connections from the dial up network on my computer but my own. We all have our own modems so that is why I also thought it could be an issuse with my modem. I am on a peer to peer network. I am only an amateur and find that to re-install windows 98 to be an extreme action and very intimidating. I am the most experienced operator her so I am basically the IT dept. Yike! Any Help and suggestions before I Commit this Heinous Act? Thank you very much for your time and attention. Kelly ;-(

If I understood what you meant by "I am able to use other dial-up connections from the dial up network on my computer but my own.", I 'may' be able to offer a suggestion.

Do you mean that you are able to successfully dial up other connections but not this particular one, and you are using the same PC and modem?

If so, then you have confirmed that your hardware (PC and MODEM) and WINDOWS drivers are OK, your problem is with whatever shortcut or application you are using for the failing connection. You may need to recreate your shortcut or perhaps reinstall whtever software you are using to dial the failing connection.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
Verify that your user name and password are correct. If this resolves the issue, skip all the remaining steps. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications,and then click Dial-Up Networking.
Right-click the icon for your connection, and then click Properties.
For Windows 95, 98 and 98 Second Edition:

Click the Server Types tab, click to clear the Require encrypted password check box, and then click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back