Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem dials, but won't do anything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexNeil

Programmer
Jun 4, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have just installed a modem into a P75 running Win95. The modem dials my ISP, but the only sounds I hear after dialing are the sounds being sent from the ISP. The modem times out after a minute or so with the message "No reply".

If I try dialing the same account from another computer, then it works fine, suggesting that there is no problem at the ISP end.

Does anyone know what I should try??

What kind of modem is it? What chipset?
Has this modem ever worked in another machine?
Is it ISA or PCI?
Have you contacted the ISP for any assistance? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

er ... it's an internal modem if that helps? Not sure of the chipset. It's a new modem, but I haven't tested it in another machine. It uses the PCI slot.

I haven't contacted the ISP because I had no problems connecting to them using my other PC, so I've assumed that there is no problem at there end.

Alex

Your PCI modem is (probably) a winmodem, and will never work in a p75. Take it back and get a "hard" modem, one with all the chips on board. Do some research, and post back here with your choices before you buy, and we'll make sure you have the correct modem.
If this IS a hard modem (very rare), we need to know if it's installed correctly, with the right drivers. If you simply removed your old modem, and put this one in, your computer is still trying to dial using all the settings for the old modem. You need to specify in dial-up-networking what modem you're using, and make sure it's installed and working in Device manager. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back