Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem detected, but drivers not installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxx2301

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
IN
I have a PC with the following specs:-

Win 98 SE, 40 GB HDD, 128 MB RAM etc.,

Recently I installed a D-Link Modem and allowed Windows to detect the same and install necessary drivers for it during Startup. The following problems were encountered:

1) Windows said that it detected a PCI Communication Device and that it was locating necessary software for installing the same. When the process was cancelled, Windows failed to detect the Modem.

2) However, if Windows is allowed to install the driver software that came with the driver CD for the Modem, it installs the PCI Communication Device by reading the CD and installing the necessary drivers.

3) At this point, I checked the Device Manager and found that a new hardware device HFXMODEM is added and if I click the same I find that PCI Enumerator for Modem has been added.

4) After this installation, Windows detected the Modem as "SoftK56 PCI Modem" and proceeded to install drivers for it. However, it refuses to install the drivers saying that "Windows did not detect any software necessary to install this device..." Even if I force it ro read the CD-ROM directory where the drivers are available, Windows does not recognise the drivers.

5) If I proceed to install this device as an Unknown Device, it is listed in the Device Manager under Other Devices as "SoftK56 PCI Modem" with an exclamation mark in a yellow circle. If I verify the Properties/resources tab, it says there is a conflict with COM1 Port.

6) Even if I invoke Add New Hardware Wizard, Windows does not install software for my Modem.

7) If I double click Modems icon in Control Panel and proceed to install the Modem, at that time it does not detect the Modem at all. And it is not listed in the available Modem Models/Manufacturers.

I am going crazy over this behaviour. Somebody please help.

Thanks. (Oops..Sorry for such a long diatribe..!)

-xxx2301

Weird it is installing on COM1 but what can you do? It seems that you may have a COM issue also and you should check if you can force the modem to use another COM port.

Check to make sure you have the latest driver for the mdem. And of course there should be an 800 number for installation tech support

Did you install the driver before installing the modem card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back