Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem data pause/stops and starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tezza

Technical User
May 16, 2001
AU
I have a SwannSmart II 56k Internal Modem (Conexant Chip) that once connected, will usually pause data flow when I am trying to download, and remain inactive for sometime before slowly resuming data flow, during this time it does not however disconnect me. Also, I only get connection speeds of around 40000 kbps. I have got the latest driver and I have limited my connection speed to 57600 kbps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tezza

Sounds like you might be getting a weak signal to your modem... Could be poor connections in your phone system somewhere. Are you plugging your modem lead directly into the master phone socket, or do you have an extension cable to a secondary socket for the PC in another room? Are you using a telephone adaptor that allows both phone and modem cable to be connected to the same socket? Every additional plug, socket, adaptor and piece of cable in between the main incoming phone socket (master) in your premises, and the modem connection on the back of your PC, will attenuate the signal, and could produce results similar to those that you're experiencing. Temporarily move your PC so you can try the shortest possible link to your master socket.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back