Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem connects, can't access internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinsystems

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
US
hi, I've got a computer that can't access the internet after the modem connects. I can ping the DNS server, but nothing else. In the browsers, it just says it can't find the page.

The problem started after someone else loaded AOL 9.0 on the system. AOL has since been removed but that didn't help. The modem have been swapped out, but the problem is the same. The modem drivers have also been updated.

The systems is XP w/sp2 newly installed. I've run stinger, virusscan, spybot, and adaware and they all came up clean. I've checked every setting I can think against a computer that connects fine over the same line and can't find any differences.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JT

Have you tried installing a different browser, such as firefox? (obviously you'll need to download it on another computer and burn it to cd)

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Try this...

go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in: sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and make sure of their correctness, replacing any files that it finds with a problem.

A box should appear to give an indication of how long the process is taking.

If all goes as it should, any corrupt, missing or incorrect files would be replaced by this process. However, as with most actions in this world, things can go wrong and the following should help!

The most frequent complaint with scannow /sfc is that a dialog box appears asking you to insert your Windows XP CD-ROM to continue.

JT, did you get it straightened out? I've got more or less the same problem and tried running sfc /scannow to no availe. To be sure everything is getting fixed I ran it three times in a row but the curious thing is it keeps asking for my XP disk at about the same time thru each process. Makes me wonder if things are really getting fixed.

I also ran a WINSOCKFIX utility which doesn't seem to have made a difference either.

I'm also having the same problem with a couple of users' machines. One is Win98, the other is Win ME.

Sorry for the double post. I don't see an "edit" button here. Maybe I just missed it. These things happen. Anyway just wanted to ask if anyone had tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dialup Networking and if they had any success with that solving this particular problem.

This is often a symptom of missing or incorrect DNS IP. Maybe you need to manually input the DNS addresses that your ISP uses.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I've seen this a few times.. it has had in my experience more than one cause.
1.)Your content advisor has been set to maximum.
2.)new.net was incorrectly installed or uninstalled.
3.)System file damaged by virus.
4.)AOL has removed and or damaged or replaced with wrong version, the required system files.
5.)bad modem driver.
6.)Firewall is enabled and configured incorrectly.
7.)Last but not least, the infamous trojan horse.

Sense you have eliminated 3, 5, 6 and, 7 the suggestions given thus far should have helped with system files, but I'd check the content advisor just to be sure.

<tosses another copy of AOL into hell.. the painful scream of Satan can be heard>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back