Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem connects but handshake fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

volleyman

MIS
Jun 12, 2002
US
All,

I have an HP laptop with built-in modem. I attempt to connect to a cisco router aux port using a modem.

when I dial the connection using hyperterm, I hear dialtone, the number is dialed, then I hear 2 sets of handshake tones, but they never connect. eventually the remote side hangs up while my modem hums away trying to negotiate.

I have tried connecting directly to the modem as well as using the com port. I've also tried issuing AT commands to dial via the com port. I get the same issue every time.

any ideas of what I can try to get them to connect up? do I need to change the speed on the connection settings? when using the com port, I used 19200 per some online documentation that I found.

Zane D.
Systems Admin

2 trains of thought, One is directly hooked up to the router hooked up to the serial port on the laptop, if you cannot get it to work there, it is unlikely that you will be do anything remotely, I would try different baud rates, to find a combination that works, 2nd. if there is a external modem, that from your description answers the call, then it it is likely that there is some kind of rs-232 connection problem, a handshaking problem, I had a simular problem dialing into a older NEC phone system,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back