Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem connection error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrismenzies

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
GB
Hi

Before I get stuck in an AOL helpline queue I thought I would try the experts.

I am trying to connect to an AOL account but am receiving the following 3 error messages at various times:

The connection to AOL has been lost.
The modem was unable to get a carrier signal.
The connection failed because a PPP link could not be established.

By the way, I can dial up my telephone using the modem via the Windows Phone Dialer application, so the modem does work. The drivers are also the corerect one for Windows ME, my OS.

Okay, the modem dials using the phone dialer, but that doesn't mean the modem can hold a conversation with another computer. Can you hyperterminal (hypertrm.exe) to 1-888-296-3892. It is an AT&T v90 modem line. Its a ten cents a minute charge, but you should be able to connect and get a login prompt every time. If you get an error or garbled characters, then there is an issue with the modem.

If you get the login, then the modem is working fine, and you are down to an AOL issue. You might go to expert setup and make sure the right modem is selected, lowering the baud rate to 57600, and try different access numbers.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back