Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem connecting slower than normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I recently got a new modem installed on my computer with XP because my old one was broken. With this new one, it connects low at 31.2 or 28.8 kbps when my old one would connect at 49.2. This new modem says it is a 56 kbps modem, but then why does it connect at such a slow speed? Could it be that there is a driver that is needed to downloaded or is my problem something else? Thanks in advance.

What kind of modem is it?? "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I can't find a driver listed for Windows XP for your modem.
It's a CNet SinglePoint modem with a Conexant chipset? Is it USB or PCI? Did the driver you loaded, that came with it,list XP as being compatable? Probably the latest XP driver for any Conexant chipset would work. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I found this page (there may be more). Follow the instructions on finding your chipset, then scroll down to the XP drivers. This might work. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back