Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Connecting SlOoOoOoOly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelRed

Programmer
Dec 22, 1999
US
I inherited this system from my previous (.BOMB?) occupation. I ran at 38.8 for while in the office. someone tried to install a different modem to get a 56K connection. They failed, and (supposedly) re-installed the original modem. I only get 16.8K reliably, but occassionally see 19.2K. I know htat some modems need to have specific register settings to operate at their 'rated speed', but I do NOT know how to set what to where. I'm on Win 98. I ran the 'diagonstics' and here are SOME of hte settings returned"

ATI1[tab][tab]255
ATI2[tab][tab]OK
ATI3[tab][tab]V2.200-V90_2M_DLP
ATI4[tab][tab]a007880284C6002F
ATI4[tab][tab]bC60000000
ATI4[tab][tab]r1005111151012004
ATI4[tab][tab]r3000111170000000
ATI5[tab][tab]022

It is (supposedly) a rockwell chipset modem.

Any helpful hint, pointer toward useful direction, etc. would be helpful.

I (long away and far ago?) remember a program "Terminal"? which could be used to set/retrieve modem settings. Is there such a thing still in win land? Where would I find it? What (other) info could I get from Mr. Modem which would be helpful?

TIA 16.8K is frighteningly slOOOOOOOoOoOoOooooo.

MichaelRed
mred@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

It's a Rockwell, ACFII chipset.
Where to start...
Go get the new driver for it from my modems page.
Boot to safe mode, remove all modems and com ports in device manager.
Remove Dial-up-networking (all networking components) from control panel, networking.
Restart, reinstall the modem, forcing the updated driver. (Ignore the "not for your hardware" message)
Go to Start > Run > and type in: inetwiz
Make a new connection. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Sounds SCARY. Since I need to "start over", would I be better off with another modem? I have two others not currently installed.

Both are Rockwell chipsets.

One has a big chip:
[tab]RLDL56DPF
[tab]R6785-68
[tab]@Rockwell 97
[tab]9814 B59163-5
[tab]Mexico

A 'sticky' on the back says:
[tab]CIS Technologies Inc.
[tab]Series M1-5614PM3 High Speed Fax Modem

Silk screening Says:
[tab]WS/M1-5614PM3 MADE IN TAIWAN

this one has ONLY the phone & Line connectors.

Other one:
The rockwell chip is:
[tab]RDSP020
[tab]P8773-91
[tab]@ROCKWELL 98
[tab]9850 B72998.3
[tab]MEXICO

The BIG chip is:
[tab]RIPTIDE)TM)
[tab]RACC0O0
[tab]D7400-11
[tab]9849 B72637.3
[tab]MEXICO
[tab] ARM

sILK SCREEN SAYS:
[tab]RIPTIDE
[tab]PC80079
[tab]REV C
This one also has an audio jack and a game port?

Both of these appear to be PCI bus modems, however the installed one appears to be what is now refered to as "legacy".

I have NO documenttion/information/software for ANY of these.

I also have a COMPAQ system which has NO modem installed.

I am using internet connection sharing to provide access to the net through this (Inherited - non Compaq) system. I do not really want to install seperate modems, but if it were useful in making the transition, I would try to put one in the compaq.

Really at your mercy on this. You appear to be the main source of information for these odd little beasts.

MichaelRed
mred@att.net

WHOA! Trash that Riptide, while you still have some hair left!
The other is (obviously) a CIS, which isn't much help, as they're out of business. It's based on the HCF chipset, aka winmodem.
Now, you can get the driver at and try the CIS, or install the one you have properly.
It's easier to "start over", as you put it, with the modem you have, than it is to try and install a new winmodem.
The thing is, the modem you have is a GOOD modem (hard modem, not winmodem), and once installed correctly, with the right driver, should operate smoothly. Right no, it's probably installed as a generic Hayes compatible, using the (lousy) Windows default driver. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Sorry to be such a lingering pest, buy I have no idea as to which of the twenty or so object in your site's listing corresponds to the modem (information) I supplied. I am ready to "DO IT" but need at least ONE more clue. You stated that 'my' modem was the ACFII chipset - but that info doesn't seen to be in the list to identify the modem.

Thanks for your patience. MichaelRed
mred@att.net

Still not understanding. On the Link page, there are ~ 75 modems listed. None have "DLP" in the Model No. list. Where thither I go?

MichaelRed
mred@att.net

i need a rockwell modem driver

chip number is

RLVDL56DPF/SP
R6785-61
ROCKWELL 97
MEXICO
THANKS

HELP!!! I need as soon as possible the driver for
Rockwell modem:

RLDL56DPF
R6785-62
B60386.3

The other chip is

11229-14
9824 B64506.2
korea

THANK YOU ALL!!
Mystral

ps:Oh God! Why can't we find the drivers on the rockwell site??!!

Mystral,

I have YET to find the end of this tangle. There is NO modem in the referenced lists which correspond to the info I provided Your chipset appears to be much the same as mine. You may understand more than I do, but I can offer a small glimpse of the 'rockwellian' syndrome. "Rockwell" makes the chips which are hte 'essence' of the modem. The MAY (but probably do not) make the MODEM. This is some other org. It MAY (but probably DOES NOT) place it's own identification on the card. Without intending to be specific or accurate, the modem (CARD) may be made by Gobbledgygook International specifically for Exsquire Computer COntrols Corporation -and neither of them want their 'name' or LOGO to be asociated with the product. So, our canadian friend has collected some information on certain (but by no means ALL) modems with the ROCKWELL chipset and is providing the best information (and drivers) he knows of for the identified sub-set. I appear to be fr enough oout on the fringe to not have had the particulars of my modem found / posted / identified. I hope you are more fortunate.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Mystral has it. The drivers I provide will work with MOST of the Rockwell chipsets on MOST modems. There's always a "fringe" of manufacturers, building total junk, that don't ever want their real name associated. They do just enough screwey things with the BIOS on the modem to render them useless, unless you have their drivers, but they have NO end user support, NO website, and thus no downloadable drivers that will always work. If you don't have the original disk (and thus the ancient, outdated, drivers), you can't upgrade/reinstall the modem in anything. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

ihave a combo modem/sound card with no drivers
Mwave ibm38mdsp2780 on the big chip an
crystal cs4216 on the small chip
IBM fru 07h0017 V1.22

can you help locate drivers

can i add a new modem and still use the combo card for sound ?

Hello

This is my modem

RLDL56DPF
R6785-62
ROCKWELL 97
9817 B59245.2

The other chip
11229-14
Rockwell 97
9821 B63295.4
KOREA

There's a Web page to find modem drivers
Follow the dark side, so you can reach the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back