Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODEM CONFIG. ADD-INS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadman2

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
US
Visit site
I called to complain to my ISP when after a recent maintenance down-time session...I had trouble staying connected.&nbsp;&nbsp;(their response to numerous busies from customers was to make getting kicked off happen a lot more)<br>My bugaboo was that I needed to download SP6 for a recent reinstall...and kept getting kicked off.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>The ISP tech had me add this line in the modem config:<br>AT&C1&D2.<br>Anyone know what that means?<br><br>:&gt; [ ) <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

The purpose of AT&C1&D2 string to get your modem to handle correctly its connection status and timing of the call disconnect.<br><br>The problem with factory default (&C0&D0) is that it might cause the problems when hanging up the line or give an error message about incorrect modem status (&quot;online&quot; when not).<br><br>I am not sure to what extent it fixes your problem, but &C1 command causes modem to send Carrier Detect signal back to software only if the connection is actually established. &D2 command causes the modem to hang up if the Data Terminal Ready signal comes from the software (meaning it informs modem that the session is over).<br><br>The only reason I see for such initialization string is to prevent system hangs when the connection is dropped. But I may be wrong.<br><br>Regards!

Your apt explanation sheds some light on the matter:&nbsp;&nbsp;(if I <br>understand you correctly) after the download starts...it shouldn't disconnect until the sending signal end says &quot;we're through&quot;.<br>Thanks again, Voland!<br>:)&gt;[ )<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back