Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Cables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphire125

Technical User
Aug 12, 2001
GB
can someone explain to me or point me to a site that has diagrams of the configuration for modem cables, I am having a problem finding two that are wired the same way but they all work on the machines or modems they were supplied with.

Is there not a universal method of wireing them?

Donald

What type of modem cables are you talking about? DB-9's, 25's, etc? Or regular old single pair?

Matt Wray
CCNA

The RS-232 'standard' has enough variations so no one knows what pins may be in use, the only reason to hope for USB analog modems is to kill RS-232. (on PCs, there is also the speed of the UART, but the real hope for USB is to kill RS-232) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Basic configurations: All these are RS232-c standards

DB25-DB25
DB25-DB9
DB9-DB25

Pin outs - ie: what's what.
DB25 DB9 Signal Name Direction
1 protective gnd

2 3 TX Data DTE->DCE

3 2 Rx Data DCE->DTE

4 7 RTS DTE->DCE

5 8 CTS DCE->DTE

6 6 DSR DCE->DTE

7 5 Signal Ground (common)

8 1 DCD DCE->DTE

20 4 DTR DTE->DCE

22 9 RI DCE->DTE

23 DSRD DCE->DTE

Bottom LINE.

All that is absolutely required is TX, RX, and Sig Gnd(common). Everything else is gravy. All wires are straight through connections, WITH ONE EXCEPTION. TX AND RX MUST BE CROSSED. That is TX/RX pins 2/3 on DTE are RX/TX on DCE pins 3/2.

What's DTE and DCE mean. DTE is data terminal equipment (a pc or printer) DCE is data communication equipment (modem).

Hope this answers it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back