Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Blocked MS/ME 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DShirleySB

Instructor
Dec 8, 2002
US
Why did they make the Millenium edition?

After booting the system the screen comes up grey like it is in safe mode but it is not. The mouse doesn't work either.

Booting in safe mode the mouse works. Trying to access AOL a message comes back saying my modem is blocked. Switching the modem with my xp machine does no better.

I ran the anti virus from safe mode and came up with two worms and a lot of aadware. I cleaned and deleted that.

Booting again brings up the same results. When I put the modem back into the XP system it worked but doesn't make the dialing noises anymore (who cares?).

The ME machine has a lot of photographs that I would like to try to salvage which is the only reason I want to try to fix it. A new XP machine has been ordered and the ME will be used only as a backup for MS Office purposes if at all.

I am not a "techie" but it sounds like a virus or worm is in my mother board contolling the modem.

Besides a boat anchor, any suggestions for a fix? Maybe taking the hard drive out of the ME machine, putting it in the XP machine and running the antivirus, (more up to date) on it there. Or is this system toast?

Please advise.

well the reason why you can't hear the modem on the xp machine is because modem sound is turned off, you can find it in; phone and modem options>modem tab>properties>modem tab>check sound.

ok other than that, i would recommend running an antispyware program such as spysweeper from web root.

see if that helps

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Before you start running any more fixes or checks on that ME drive, back up or copy over those files that are important to you, i.e. your photos.

Assuming your XP machine has some half decent antivirus software on it, you could attach the ME disk as a secondary or slave drive, and then scan it and also run XP's system checks on it as well.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back