Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Bank setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTraveler

Technical User
Dec 17, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

I am looking at setting up a modem bank using an 800 number for my remote staff to dial into the network. The problem is I have no experience in telephony and can't seem to find any info anywhere. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in setting up a modem bank and what software/configuration to use and such? Or maybe a good site to refer me to? Thanks!

You should consider a RAS (Remote Access Server). An example would be Lucent's MAX series. But this also depends on how many users you expect to dial in and how big a budget you have.

Traveler,
The 800 number part of it all is handeled by the telco. Once you get your RAS server setup (the ISP I used to work for used 3Coms Total Control Access Concentrator with an old radius server also from 3com) then start looking into the 800 number stuff. Essentially an 800 number is just an alias that points you your real number. Below I describe how we set up dial up access at the ISP:

In the colo we had 16 PRIs (or 368 different lines) the user logged in there, and the TCAC send authentication packets to our radius server, once that port was authenticated they were allowed out to the net.

Another way to do it is, if you already have an internet connection (who doesnt right) instead of dealing with the overhead and admin of managing your own bank, use a nationwide ISPs equipment and setup a VPN. I know of a few companies that do this. Earthlink is always mentioned when I hear about this, so they may have a corporate plan.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

Traveler,
You can assemble and install a dial-in server for your remote staff to dial-in. I've use open-source software and it has been running for 4 years now. These are what I used in my Linux dial-in server:
Mysql - user database
ICRadius - authentication and accounting daemon
portslave - serial port daemon

You can attach 2 modems to your PCs serial ports. If you need more ports you can use Cyclades-Yo/Ze or Equinox serial products.

BlueJack
desionjr at internetcity dot ph

Travelor,
I wouldn't even bother. Let an ISP offer you national dialup access and have your people VPN into your network. It's a LOT better than managing a modem pool and phone lines.

I know a good ISP that can help you.

email: der at surfinbox dot com

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back