Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Audio Only From External Speakers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleonasm

Technical User
May 20, 2004
CA
After installing a modem driver update (specifically the "Agere modem software update released on December 12 2003", as recently recommended and offered by the Windows Update process), the modem no longer produces audio though the on-board internal speaker during the dialing process for an Internet connection. The audio is heard only through the PC's external speakers. How can I configure the modem so that the audio is produced only though the on-board internal speaker – as was the case prior to the installation of the driver update?

I have run the modem hardware tests provided by 'PC Doctor', and it passes all tests.

Thank you for your assistance.

I suggest you contact the manufacturer of that modem. I never download drivers from Microsoft's site, seems like almost every time I did that, I had problems after. Especially considering Agere makes chipsets, not modems, how can MS be certain that the driver they are providing is 100% compatible with the modem you have, they cannot!

Other option is to reinstall the original driver using the disk supplied with the modem/computer.

There may be a simpler solution, but I've never played much with modem audio output, other than using the slider in modem properties to change the level of the audio.

Good luck!

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Matt, to assist in diagnosing this problem further, how does one issue AT commands to the modem and see the resulting modem responses? In the good ole DOS days, for example, one could issue the command "TTY: > COM2:" to redirect keyboard input to the modem’s serial port and then enter "+++" to obtain the modem's attention. In the new world of Windows XP, is there a window or utility that provides the same functionality?

Thank you.

Run hypertrm.exe (hyperterminal), you can then issue at commands.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back