Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem and SCSI Host Adapter Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaeBon

Instructor
Jan 31, 2004
US
I am using Windows XP. I recently installed a new modem. The modem works beautifully, but I cannot print. When I look at the device manager I notice that the Adaptec AHA-1502 SCSI Host Adapter is using IRQ 10 and I/O Range 0140-0154. THe Generic 56K HCF Data Fax Modem is also using IRQ 10 I/O Range EC00-EC07 and Memory Range E9000000 - E900FFFF. There is a check mark on both property boxes for use automatic settings. No Conflicts are listed in the conflicting device list for the modem, but the conflicting device list for the SCSI host adapter lists these conflicts:
Interrupt Request 10 used by: Generic 56k HCF Data Fax Modem
Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller.
The Use automatic check box is checked but grayed out in the property box for the modem, but is checked and not grayed out in the property box for the SCSI host adapter. Any suggestions?

You need to avoid the sharing of interrupt line by multiple devices.
Can you enable the IOAPIC mode on your motherboard? (BIOS setup) This will give more interrupt lines for your system to share. If not, you must disable whatever you do not use on yourmotherboard. If you do not use your two serial ports and your LPT port, you can probably disable them. This would free some IRQs.

changing the slot may help if your not comfortable mucking around with your PC main settings, the 1502 is a PNP ISA card, so just uncheck the "use automatic setting" and see if you can find an acceptable IRQ, PCI is much better for this sort of thing as IRQ can be shared, you might want to take a poke in the system bios to see if there are any alternatives available for the printer port configuration ( assuming a LPT printer, you didn't say what kind you were using) IRQ conflicts are eas to address, once you know some of the old timer tricks to it. Adaptec has a good KDB system, may want to take a visit there

Thanks to both of you for your reply. I did remove the check mark from the automatic settings box for the SCSI host adapter, but the modem will not let me do that. I even chose another setting for the adapter that says no conflicts, but it still has the yellow exclamation mark beside it in device manager. Perhaps the printer will not work with Windows XP. I am using an old HP Deskjet 540 printer. It lets me install the printer and I see an icon in control panel, printers and faxes. When I try to print a test page, it appears in the queue, but nothing ever happens. The printer does not appear in device manager. Even if the printer will not work with XP, I still have the problem with the SCSI adapter. I hesitate to change things in the main setting because of Murphy's Law, ha ha. Thank you again for all your help. This forum has helped me several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back