Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem activity pauses over and over. HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have an Aopen FM56-PM PCI modem and am using windows 98se. I can connect fine but my modem will pause every five minutes or so for about one minute. Then the connection will come back to life for another five minutes and then stop again. I never have to dial back on to my ISP(I never get completely kicked off). I have also experimented with 2 different ISP's and the problem still exists. Any ideas???

It's called "retraining". The modem cannot sustain data flow at the current connect speed, and it "retrains" to a lower speed (sometimes higher if possible). PCI winmodems (soft modems) are notorious for using up CPU cycles, and when retraining, will use even more.
There are a few ways around this, but at some expense.
1.) Buy more RAM. Usually helps, cannot hurt (within reason).
2.) Buy a "hard" modem, that is one that has all the processing and data pump chips on board, and does NOT rely on the CPU to do any work. All external serial modems, most USB modems, and the VERY rare internal PCI are hard modems. If you need a list, or want any suggestions on what to get, just ask.
3.) Call the phone company. Get them to check the lines, all the way from the box on the house to their central office. Remember, they only guarantee a voice-grade line (around 14.4kbps), so they may not help, but again, it can't hurt. Any further checking (inside the house) is your responsibility, and they may charge for it.
4.) Check for updated drivers for the modem. Usually helps. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back