Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem access hangs machine after 1st boot but works after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

anh22

Technical User
Jun 8, 2003
GB
Dear friends,

I've got a wierd problem. After the first boot (I only turn on the machine when needed), if I access to the modem (with AOL or with direct modem query (Device Manager/Modem/Diagnostics)), my machine hangs. Then if I reboot, everything is OK. My machine is:

- AMD XP 2000+ overclocked to 1800MHz
- MSI K7N2
- 512MB RAM, 80GB WD HDD
- Modem: HSP56 MicroModem, driver PCTel 9.0.15.0, location: PCI Slot 7 (PCI bus 1, device 9, function 0), I/O range: C000-C03F, IRQ 19 (no conflicts).

- WinXP Pro + SP1

I have thought this may be a temperature problem: at 1st boot, the machine is *not hot enough* to work well !!!??? At the moment when the system hung, CPU was at 33C, motherboard at 35C (well, it is not cold however). After reboot, CPU 34C, motherboard 37C (so not much hotter). However, what troubles me is that the absolute temperature values are not important here. For example, if at 1st boot they are 28/29C, and after reboot they are 33/35 C then the phenomenon is exactly the same, that is the modem works after reboot, at temperatures 33/35C or whatever.

Moreover, if I do not access the modem right away after the 1st boot, but wait for about 30 minutes, or run some program to warm up the machine then the problem *often* (not always) does not happen.

Any idea will help. Thanks a lot.

anh22

Buy a new, pure hardware based modem.
In your specific case an external modem would be the best choice.
Leave it on 24/7.

Suggest that YOU un-overclock the machine a little and see if that STOPS your problem...99% of all problems with Overclocked Computers are DUE TO THE OVERCLOCKING...
Retired Computer Shop OWNER/Tech.
gunsling.gif

Frank Smith
s0121@dhcnetwork.com
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back