Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modelling Order Header attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivarto

Programmer
Nov 27, 2005
AU
Hi,

I'm just finishing off the modelling of a classic Sales Orders fact and have pushed all of the header information down to the line level as I believe is best practice. I've also got the Order number as a degenerate dimension but there are attributes that really are attributes of the header which implies I need a dimension to hang them off. Having a D-Order dimension attached to the fact defeats the whole point of pushing the header information down. It occurred to me that I could create a junk dimension of header attributes such as order status, order source and hang that off the fact thus removing the need for the D-Order dimension completely. (Actually while typing this it just became clear these are dimensions so I could just have two new dimensions hanging off the fact - or put them in a junk dimension as there are just 9 cross combinations)

Does this sound like a good approach? Any thoughts on what could be a better approach?

one issue that crossed my mind is that if there is no Order dimension and I have a second fact table built around the Invoice (I'm assuming a different grain if I keep invoice line in the fact) how would I relate an Order in the Orders fact to its Invoices in the Invoice fact?

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back