Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Model 44P-170 & AIX 5.3 TL5 SP6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpor2003

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
GB
Gurus!

I am probably missing the obvious. So hope someone can point me in the right direction. I currently run an Rs6000 44p-170 with a Power 3 333Mhz CPU and 1.2GB RAM. At the moment I run the machine on a base level copy of AIX 5.3 with an X-windows console (GNOME, KDE, CDE). The issue I am currently facing is the following:

When I install SP5-TL6 (After obtaining it from here: and then reboot the entire X-windows login screen fails to appear. Instead I just get the Egg-Timer and nothing else. But I can Telnet onto the system wioth out issue, and nothing is showing in the Errpt. Someone mentioned that the system can only be upped to TL4. Can anyone tell me where if this is true? And if possible provide me with the link to where I can find out about this?

Thanx in advance.

MoreFeo, Thanks for the response.

The dispaly is being fed directly to a dedicated LCD monitor via a GXT-130P Graphics card which is situated in PCI slot 6.

The weirdest thing is that on the Base level of AIX5.3 I can login without issue. But as soon as I appply TL5-SP6 the issue begins with the egg timer. But I can still telnet to an ascii session via the network and nothing is showing in the Errpt.

As far as I am aware I updated the System Firmware to one on the web page when I first came in possession of the workstation. Although I do not see any firmware updates for the Graphics card on there.

I may try getting hold of a lower TL and see what happens. Just wondering if it's not an issue with TL5-SP6. Noticed this month IBM have now brought out TL6-SP1 for IBM P6 compatibility.

well, if there is something wrong with the TL5-SP6 that you just installed then the best people to talk to is IBM support! they will tell you whether there is something wrong with this version and if there is an APAR to this issue!

Regards,
Khalid

Umm.... IBM Support. Yes I have dealt with them in the past. Hmmmm...

I mean, if you have a X-windows program on your PC (like reflection, or X-win), if you're able to telnet the server and export the display to your PC?
If you can do this, this probably means that nothing's wrong with CDE packages, and that it will probably be some microcode issue.
If your not even able to have it displayed on yor PC, I would have a look at CDE packages, to see if the versions matches the TL.

Will look at that option MoreFeo in regards to the X-Win software for Windows. And will check the CDE.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back