Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mock Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderdan1016

Technical User
Aug 30, 2004
US
Recently my boss asked me to purchase Office PRo for him so he could use Access. I am the network admin here and i dont want him having access to many of the queries because they are directly linked to our system and could completely ruin all of our data if a query is run incorrectly. he has no experience with Access but wants to use reports. Is there a way to create another database and just export the reports to the new DB and keep the old queries in the original database?

Give him a front end with only the queries he needs to run only the reports he needs copied into it. Link to only the tables he needs.

It's hard to make things foolproof, because fools are so ingenious.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

We can sure find ourselves in touchy situations when it comes to bosses. Unfortunately, bosses have a way of finding out you are withholding information (or queries) from them. If I can assume your boss is not a total loss, then perhaps it might be enough to make your problematic queries hidden and tell the boss why they are hidden - to help prevent accidental opening.

If your boss really only wants the reports there might be a cheaper solution:

Get him the free Acc Snapshot Viewer and create a procedure that saves the latest updated reports as *.snp files.

TomCologne

Or you could make him a simple front end, and disable the shift key opening ability. There's a way to do it that's been posted on this forum, I just can't remember where and i'm currently too lazy to search for it.

-------------------------
Just call me Captain Awesome.

Is the main data source an access database or some other source?

Also it's a good time to mnake sure your backup routines are robust.

Love the foolproof comment, Greg!

If he just wants top use existing reports, the simple solution is the linked front end...with any luck he may not even know about the shift key lock!

its not coming from a centralized access database. it comes from an AS400 system . the access db uses linked tables to the AS400. how do you use linked front end?

Its been a while since I messed with a linked table on an AS400 but when you link the tables do you get prompted to select a field or fields from the table. If so then when you get to thissection don't select any fields and it effectivly makes the link read only.
Can't remember if it works with AS400 or not.

Oooh, the AS/400. I remember using that in school... You poor bastard. Good luck.

-------------------------
Just call me Captain Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back