Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mobo or cpu issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1W169

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
US
Hey all Just built another computer this time i used ECS K7sem and a 1 gig AMD Duron(morgan) It's running a lil hot 40C (104F)but I don't think thats causing my problem. I have zonealarm pro and norton systemworks on here. The issue is with CPU usage. Doing simple stuff such as raising the volume up and down on musicmatch Jukebox takes my cpu usage up to 99% Thats crazy ! Transferring files over my home network takes it to 65% and up.Half-life makes it goto 99% also This is really confusing me and help would be gratefull.
I can't figure out if this a bad cpu or bad mobo I ordered another mobo but it will be a week before it gets here so till then I'm stumped

sidenote I have 2 other computers with (Inhell) Cpu's 350 and 550 and they don't do this with the exact same software running. And I know AMD works better than Inhells so this is puzzling me

Win2k OS
onboard sound,graphics,LAN
AMD Duron 1gig(morgan)
40 gig WD HDD

Before you get too frustrated with your new Duron box, you should spend a little time going back through your installation.

Check to see if all your cards and memory are seated properly. Check for a bios setting that is incorrect. Check your hardware device settings in win2K for a disabled device. And don't forget to click on the Task Manager to see what applications are consuming resources. It is possible that you have a program that is using more resources than it actually requires, possibly because of an incorrect configuration. From what I can recall, the Norton programs - Disk Doc, Cleansweep, NAV - use a great deal of overhead. Turn on only what you need.

Take your time - don't get too frustrated. You find the problem sooner or later.

I have ran into high cpu usage problems on other peoples pc's , turns out a few of them had l1 and l2 cache disabled. I asume you have checked this in the bios. If so and everything chekcs out, you may want to start cleaning up your agents. Disable winamp agent, musicmatch quicklaunch. all of nortons quick launch features. Is it possible that you have ISS running in the background and not even know it? It's hapened to me where ISS tok up all system resources. Win2k also uses a heck of a lot of ram. Anything under 256 megs will not suffice. Is your hard disk being accesed alot (thrashing) when your cpu usage skyrockets? Good luck guy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back