Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile Wifi - A crazy Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

topdogkaine2009

Technical User
Nov 13, 2009
GB
I'm a Telephone Engineer, About 80% of my work is completed remotely.

I don't need to be in a physical location, I just need to have an internet connection to connect to the various servers and systems.

I'm thinking of buying a camper van and I'm looking to create some kind of Wifi Satellite that could pick up open wireless connections. Thus allowing me the freedom to travel the UK instead of being stuck in one location.

I have read a number of web pages, that advise of similar projects:

Would the below suffice?
or

I would also need some way of turning the dish to point at the wifi router. Preferably mechanically or electrically.

I would be connecting to relatively cheap routers supplied by ISP's in Pubs, Restaurants etc.If it is possible.

Any Advice would be great

Do you need an 8+ mile antenna if you're parked next to the pub?

If your camper shell is fiberglass, the tiny antenna built into a laptop may be sufficient.

If the shell is metal, you may or may not need an external antenna.
I lived in a metal camper for a year, and got my internet connection via the cell network, using a Cardbus card stuck in my laptop. I guess the windows were big enough and a cell tower was close enough.

Here in The Colonies, ten years ago or so, campers were typically equipped with a television dipole that could be manually oriented, raised and folded down, with a crank handle and lever affair mounted in the roof. Now they tend to come with a fixed low profile omnidirectional antenna, I'm guessing because of allisions due to failure to retract, and occasional rain intrusion.

Ever thought of buying a cellular phone with a separate SIM for the purpose and use "share Internet" though the phone?

Or, do you work outside the range of mobile towers?

You can connect many computer to the same phone. Internet is fast, I'm surprised and impressed!!
(I have iPhone 5 for this purpose only.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back